Thursday, January 25, 2018

Day One Hundred Sixty-Eight: Homemade Bone Broth

A year ago, we purchased a quarter of a grass-fed, pastured-raised cow from one of our friends. Once it was processed, one of the things we ended up with was a couple of bags of beef bones. My friend told me they would make excellent bone broth, which was something I had been reading about and wanting to try, so it seemed perfect. Obviously, making homemade bone broth didn't immediately make it to the top of my to-do list, and here I am, a year later, just getting around to it. One of the things that kept me from doing it earlier was that it seemed to be quite a lengthy and, by many accounts, smelly process. Motivated by my knee injury to increase my collagen intake and knowing that bone broth was a good source of collagen, I started looking more seriously at recipes. It turns out, you can make bone broth in the Instant Pot, cutting down on cooking time as well as odor. Win-win. It actually smells fantastic, and we are so excited to give it a try! (We're thinking maybe French onion soup! Ooh, my mouth's watering already!)

Bone broth and all it's goodies still in the Instant Pot

Finished product

No comments:

Post a Comment