Friday, September 15, 2017

Day Thirty-Six: Alternative Medicine

From the inception of the Year of Firsts idea, I have had "try alternative medicines" on my list. Part of the reason for this was pure curiosity and part of it was a growing disenchantment with modern Western medicine I've developed over the last few years, which has prompted me to want to learn about a variety of alternatives. My big chance to look into a couple of different alternative medicines came today during an open house at the North Texas Whole Health Wellness Center, where a few practitioners were offering samples of their services for free. I opted to try the BEMER electromagnetic therapy offered by the chiropractor and the NADA five-point acupuncture protocol offered by the acupuncturist. Both were completely new to me, and I was glad to learn about them. The BEMER therapy wasn't painful or even really noticeable, but it was kind of relaxing to lie on the table picturing my blood vessels opening themselves up to maximum capacity. The acupuncture consisted of having five needles stuck in each of my ears and was slightly uncomfortable, even after the needles were removed. I'm not really sure if I would want to go back for more of that particular treatment, but I'm so glad I had a chance to learn about a try new things and especially that I got to try them for free.

A brochure about BEMER

Reading material about NADA acupuncture

Looking a bit like a voodoo doll

No comments:

Post a Comment