Monday, July 9, 2018

Day Three Hundred Thirty-Three: Vibrant Valparaíso

We joined a tour group today that took us to Viña del Mar and Valparaíso, which both sit on Chile's Pacific coast. I will share more about the whole tour on my family blog, but here I want to focus just on Valparaíso, which is unlike any city I have ever visited. First of all, it is a city built entirely on hills, so every little road is steep. There are staircases everywhere, and the city seems like a maze. (The hilly, staircase-ridden aspect of Valparaíso actually reminded me of a city we visted in Bulgaria a few years ago.) There are also several funiculars that make it easier for people to ascend the hills. The thing that is really striking about the city, though, is how colorful it is. There isn't a surface that hasn't been touched by street art--some of it just your run-of-the-mill graffiti and some of it truly amazing. Also, all the houses and buildings are either vibrantly painted in single bright colors or are covered in murals, and many of the staircases are eithered painted or tiled. Plus, it is a busy shipping port, so boats loaded with colorful containers dot the coastline. It is such a unique city, and I'm so glad I got to visit!

Colorful staircase

Pretty row of houses

Ascensor El Peral

Every surface is covered with art

Vibrant Valparaíso

No comments:

Post a Comment