Sunday, July 29, 2018

Day Three Hundred Fifty-Three: Rocket

Clay came to me and asked if I would help him build a rocket from a kit he had acquired from who-knows-where. I said, "Sure," because I like to occasionally pretend to be a fun mom. Besides, it was a kid's rocket kit; how hard could it be? Well, five minutes into the project, Clay and I both realized it was going to be quite a bit more involved than we had suspected and that there were only picture instructions that tended toward vagueness at times. Clay quietly slipped out of the room the first time we had to wait for glue to dry, but for some dumb reason, I just couldn't let it go and would get all cringy seeing the partially finished rocket sitting on the table where I was trying to plan Grammar lessons for the upcoming school year. So, I would glue a part, prop it up just so, and work while I waited for it to dry. And I did that over and over again until I got the whole dang thing put together, fudging a little at the end when I realized that we did not actually own all of the parts needed to complete the project as per the instructions because the launching mechanism was deceitfully "sold separately." It was my first rocket to build, and unless an adorable little boy who shares my DNA asks me to build another one on a day I feel like I need to prove myself as a fun mom, it will likely be my last.


No comments:

Post a Comment