Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Day Two Hundred Fifteen: Cheese and Cracker

A while back, Clay bought a cookbook at the library's used book sale. He immediately picked out a couple of recipes he wanted to try and made a grocery list. This list spent several weeks in his room before being moved to a prominent place on the refrigerator where it kept getting overlooked because, frankly, it just looked like another piece of paper. When I announced a trip to the grocery store yesterday, Clay determined he would go with me, list in hand. I had long ago forgotten about his list, but I dutifully bought the items. So, he was all set to make fried mozzarella sticks and butter noodles for dinner tonight. The only problem was we didn't actually buy all the ingredients that were needed for the cheese sticks because mysteriously not all of them were on our list. I am generally a strict recipe follower, especially when I'm trying something new, but I didn't want to disappoint Clay, so I literally made something up on the spot using ingredients we had on hand. And then, not wanting to waste the breading, I decided to make it into a giant cracker. It was a grand experiment! Neither the cheese sticks nor the cracker turned out very pretty, but they tasted pretty good, which I guess is what matters. That, and the fact that I got to spend some quality time with my little guy in the kitchen!

Fried Mozzarella "Sticks"

A giant cracker or something similar

No comments:

Post a Comment