Saturday, May 26, 2018

Day Two Hundred Eighty-Nine: Locro and Malbec Gelato

Today was full of Firsts, but I'll just focus on the new foods I tried. (If you want to see more details from the day, you can visit our family blog.) Yesterday, we found out about a food called locro, which is a bean and squash stew traditionally served on Independence Day since people have time off work and have more time to prepare it at that time. We meant to pick some up at the festival yesterday, but the crowd and lines and loud music were a bit overwhelming, and we simply forgot to order it. So, we were pleased to find that the little food counter/grocery store across the street from our house had some in stock today. (They haven't had it any of the other days we've been here, confirming that it's something of a specialty item that is only served occasionally.) It has a unique flavor, which I can't really describe. I would say we liked it but didn't love it.

Locro

Later, we took Weston out for gelato to celebrate his half-birthday, and Jeff boldly ordered one of the three Malbec gelatos on the menu. Because when in Mendoza... It was my first time to try a wine-based ice cream, and I was not a huge fan, though I was glad for the experience. I think I'll stick to having my Malbecs poured rather than scooped.

Malbec gelato with cherries

No comments:

Post a Comment