Sunday, April 1, 2018

Day Two Hundred Thirty-Four: Epictetus and The Art of Living

Sadly, I never read anything by any ancient Greek philosopher until a few years ago when Ruth's literature class introduced us to the works of Plato. I was interested in what we read, but I still never took the time to prioritize reading other Greek philosophers' works. A couple of weeks ago, I saw The Art of Living come up on BookBub and decided to add it to my library, even though I had never even heard of Epictetus. Since it is an interpretation of the original work, it is written in plain English and promised to be an easy read. I was able to knock it out this weekend, though I'm certain if I would have had more time, I could have finished it in a day. I really enjoyed all the nuggets of wisdom and felt the book actually encompassed almost every major principle I want to instill in my children before they leave home. It will now be required reading, and I will be seeking out more works by Epictetus and the other philosophers of Stoicism.


No comments:

Post a Comment