Friday, April 13, 2018

Day Two Hundred Forty-Six: Two-Mile Run

Ok, so technically, I have run two miles before. Lots of times actually. But everything I knew my body could do completely reset when I injured my knee, and so I have new old milestones to reach that certainly do feel like Firsts.

I was cleared to start running in January, and it has been hard. At first, I could barely run for a minute. There has been pain (so much pain!) and a few tears. But there has also been fierce determination. By early March, I had worked up to one-mile runs, and could pound them out pretty consistently on the pavement and on the treadmill. Even as recently as Tuesday, though, I was telling Jeff that a mile was about all my knee seemed to want to do and that I was having a hard time moving beyond that barrier.

But, with the knee's blessing, today I finally managed to knock out two miles. Before my injury, I was running about four miles a day, and I'm assured that recovering from this type of injury and surgery generally takes about a year.  I am realistic enough to know that, as I continue to work, there will very likely still be hard days, days when my knee or my mind or both just don't want to or just can't manage to reproduce the results from today. That's o.k. because now I know I can do it. And when you know you've done something once, it's easier to do it again and again. This accomplishment meant a lot to me and truly felt for all the world like a real First (possibly a little better, even, since I had to work harder for it!), and I wanted it on the official record. 

Just put one foot in front of the other until you get where you want to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment