Sunday, December 3, 2017

Day One Hundred Fifteen: New Twists on Old Favorites

I was in a cooking mood today, and, no, that's not my First. 🙂  I actually love to cook when I have the time. Today I whipped up some family favorites, but with a couple of the dishes I strayed from my usual recipes for something a little different.

My family loves Brussels sprouts, and I make them often--always caramelized with lemon juice squeezed on just before serving. But I found a recipe that added avocado, bacon, caramelized onions, and balsamic vinegar, and I knew instantly that my family wouldn't mind veering from the norm. Everyone loved the dish, and it may actually become our new go-to Brussels sprouts dish.

Photo credit: https://heatherchristo.com/2017/10/30/brussels-sprouts-with-bacon-red-onion-and-avocado/

I also make homemade hummus from time to time. Jeff and I prefer the homemade version, but the kids like the flavors available in the store-bought versions. So, I attempted a flavored one this time by incorporating caramelized onions in a balsamic reduction. (Can you figure out today's secret ingredients?!) We haven't tried it yet, but everyone seemed happy with the smell produced by the onions while they were cooking, so I suspect it will be a hit.

*Photo credit: https://www.camelliabrand.com/recipes/balsamic-caramelized-onion-hummus/

No comments:

Post a Comment