Friday, November 17, 2017

Day Ninety-Nine: National Gallery of Art

We did lots of things today that I've never done before, but for the purpose of this post, I'm just going to pick one: The National Gallery of Art and Sculpture Garden. (You can read about the other stuff on my other blog, if you're so inclined.)

First of all, let me say, I can recognize if I like a painting/drawing/sculpture or not, but I do not really have what people might call "artistic skills." Somehow, though, I have managed to give birth to a child who absolutely adores all things art and genuinely appreciates so much about it. He picked up a brochure when we entered the building and immediately created a scavenger hunt for himself with it. I may not have appreciated all the art in its own right, but I loved experiencing the art galleries with my little art lover, and I enjoyed trying to help him find the things he was looking for. We did see lots of lovely and interesting art, and we visited with an artist who spends a few hours every Friday trying to copy paintings in the museum as a way of improving his skills. After viewing most of the galleries, we had a picnic in the sculpture garden, enjoying the art there and the beautiful day.

National Gallery of Art

Watching an artist work

I really liked this mosaic, which represented the skin colors of actual people.
I love how the different skin tones complement each other so well.
This is the kind of beauty humans were made for.

A lovely metal tree in the sculpture garden

No comments:

Post a Comment