Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Day One Hundred Ninety-Five: Too Much Information and A Bad Feeling

On my writing days, I usually like to find a cafe that offers bottomless coffee, so I can refill all afternoon while I work on my projects. Today, I picked the cafe in one of our local grocery stores. I was sitting in a booth, and there was a man sitting in the adjoining booth, and we happened to be facing each other. One trait I don't care for in myself is my ability to overhear other people's conversations in public places. But, try as I might, I can't seem to block it all out.

So, the guy in the next booth starts talking on the phone, and it quickly becomes clear that he knows A LOT about weed. He also mentioned a stabbing. Later, in a separate conversation, he gave detailed instructions about how to shoplift and referenced his time in prison.

After that call, he left his phone and other belongings, exited the cafe while it was pouring rain, and wandered over to a nearby convenience store. When he came back a few minutes later, he was surreptitiously pouring something into a cup and wincing a bit as he swallowed. At that point, the situation just started to feel not quite right, and I decided I didn't want to see how crazy he could get, so I left the cafe. I have never gotten up and left a place like that based on overheard conversations and bizarre behavior, but, unfortunately, in the world we live in, you can never really be too careful, and I don't regret my decision to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment