Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Reflecting on my Year of Firsts

Since completing my Year of Firsts a few days ago, I have gone back and read through all my posts documenting my journey as a way of sealing in the experiences of the year. Before I started this project, I naively imagined that it would somehow make my life more glamorous, exotic, adventurous, and interesting. In some ways, I was right. I have things that fit into each of those categories on my list of Firsts. But, honestly, that wasn't the norm. My life still remained my life. I still had four kids that needed to be schooled and fed and carpooled. I still had limiting attitudes and fears and a lack of motivation at times. I had injuries and illnesses, which became Firsts in their own rights but not ones I would have necessarily chosen for myself. Sometimes, I seriously had to stretch the definition of "First" to come up with something that would "count." The Year of Firsts wasn't exactly what I imagined it would be, but it was wonderful and full of great lessons nonetheless. Focusing on Firsts helped me see the novel even in the mundane. It helped me push myself out of my comfort zone and try new things I might not have ever even thought to try. It made me move closer to a "Yes, And" default rather than my usual "No," though, of course, I still have work to do. My day-to-day life didn't really change significantly, but my attitude toward my day-to-day life did change significantly. I developed new eyes with which to view my days. I'm thankful that I decided to celebrate the entrance into a new decade with a Year of Firsts, and though the project has come to its official end, the lessons it has taught me have not. I will continue to try new things. I will continue to look for the novel even in the mundane. I will continue to make positive changes in my life, even if I am not recording them for all the world to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment